Saturday 12 March 2011

First!

As Salaam Alaikum,

People are continuously asking me if Muslims do this or that. People would stare at me when I would speak and joke with my friends. They would see this girl covered by the Hijab, sitting and studying then joking with her friends. It made me realize that people do not see us as regular people. Some are curious and some are confused.  So for my project humanities seminar at the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) (I need it to graduate), I am compiling a book of short stories from Muslims (who live in a minority country) who want their voices heard and for those who want to share their experience. Inshallah this will help dispel misconceptions that they have of us.

All topics are welcomed.   It can be about struggles in school, fitting in, fashion, Hijab, the opposite gender, religion, culture, marriage, friends, family,  finding yourself, terrorism, prejudice, adapting to the majority lifestyle (if you immigrated to a country where you are a minority)  or anything else you may have experienced.

Your story should be between 300-1500 words and be your original work. Photos and poems are welcome also.  Please email your stories to sanahamed@live.com. Include your full name, location and age.

Please help make this book a success. Pass this along to someone who may be interested!


A little about me.
I was born on St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. It is a little island in the Caribbean Sea. I have lived there all my life. I played sports all through junior high and high school. I am currently managing editor for UVI’s student newspaper- UVI Voice.  I have been wearing the Hijab for a year now and the decision to wear the Hijab (fully mine) was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am forever grateful my parents let that decision be mine so that I can really appreciate it and love it.  In May, I will be graduating with my BA in Communications and AA in Accounting.
Thank you,
Sana Hamed

1 comment: